Hummus is a Mediterranean cuisine made by blending Tahini (ground sesame seeds), cooked chickpeas, lemon juice, and garlic; which can then be used as a spread, a dip, or enjoyed as a savory dish. It is easy to make and requires few ingredients. This vegan spread is packed with many nutrients but should be eaten in moderation because it has many calories.
Table of Contents
What is Hummus?
It is made of cooked chickpeas being mashed together with lemon juice, garlic, and tahini to form a paste; you can then use it as a dip, a spread, or eaten as a savory dish. It is a common Mediterranean cuisine.
What is Hummus made of?
Hummus is made of blended sesame seeds known as Tahini, together with other ingredients such as garlic, lemon juice, or cooked chickpeas.
- Half cup of Tahini (made by grinding sesame seeds with olive oil and salt)
- 1 cup of Chickpeas (cooked). When starting from scratch, make sure you properly cook the dried chickpeas before adding to your blender to ensure the hummus recipe is soft and smooth in texture.
- Lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- Iced cold water
- Roasted Red pepper (ground) and Parsley (chopped)
Hummus Nutrition Facts
Every 100 grams of hummus contains the following nutrients:
- 166 calories and 10 grams of fats
- 14 grams of carbs and 8 grams of protein
For Vitamins and Minerals, it contains Vitamin B6, Calcium, Magnesium, Iron, Sodium, and Potassium.
How to Make Hummus at Home
- Into a blender, add all your ingredients, and blend into a smooth paste.
- When it is very thick, you can reduce the consistency by adding iced cold water and some olive oil.
- It is good to add your chickpeas a little at a time in order not to overwork your blender.
- You can top it up with olive oil, roasted red pepper (ground), and some parsley (chopped).
- It can be served right away or you can refrigerate first.
1) Can you freeze hummus?
Yes, you can freeze it in order not to go bad and freezing helps to preserve it and makes it last longer.
2) Does it contain protein?
100 grams contains 8 grams of protein.
3) Is hummus gluten free?
It is gluten-free since it is made from ground sesame seeds (also called Tahini) and chickpeas which have no gluten. If you are buying store-bought brands, then always ensure you check the label to make sure it has no gluten.
4) How long does hummus last?
It can last for 5 days when refrigerated while store-bought brands when opened and refrigerated can last up to 10 days.
5) Is hummus vegan?
Yes, it is vegan because all ingredients are plant-based such as chickpeas, sesame, lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil.
6) Is Hummus Keto?
It is made from a legume (chickpeas) which contains high carbs and low fats and therefore does not fit into a keto diet.
7) Does Hummus go bad?
Yes, when left unrefrigerated for a long time, it becomes sour and goes bad. Always cover it with a lid and refrigerate or freeze it when you have excess.
What to eat with Hummus?
- Pita bread
- Veggies such as cauliflower or broccoli
- Salad and Pasta