Fried fish is an amazing dinner recipe that can be eaten with a side dish such as coleslaw. Here are the ingredients and steps on how to fry fish using a flour batter. This fish recipe can be pan fried or deep fried using an air fryer, oven, or stove.
Fried Fish Ingredients
- 2 Fish Fillet. I am suing catfish but any other type of fish can do. The fish fillet can be cut into small chunks or simply fry them as a whole.
- 1 cup of cornmeal. You can use breadcrumbs for the breading.
- Buttermilk or milk – for making the fried fish batter.
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch. Adding cornstarch makes it chewy.
- Soy sauce and oyster sauce; 1 tablespoon each.
- 1/3 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper and black pepper
- Salt to taste, ginger powder, and garlic powder; 1/3 teaspoon each.
- 1/3 teaspoon of dried thyme and Olive oil for frying your fish.
Ingredients for Fried Fish Batter
- 1 cup of Flour. You can use cornstarch, tapioca flour, chickpeas flour, or potato flour if you want to make gluten free fried fish. The flour is used for coating the fish before frying while the seasoning cube is to improve the taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground red chili pepper and onion powder
Steps on How to Fry Fish
You can use an air fryer, oven, or stove to fry your fish. Deep frying or pan-frying can be used.
- Firstly, you can marinate your fish before frying; or simply make a batter and use it to coat the fish before frying.
- To marinate the fish, firstly, bring your milk into a mixing bowl; then add the thyme, cayenne and black pepper, and salt. Also, add the oyster sauce and soy sauce and mix to combine.
- Bring in the fish fillet and coat it with the marinade you just made; then allow it to rest in the marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, pour your flour into a mixing bowl and add 1 seasoning cube, 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, and onion powder. Also, add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and mix to combine.
- Now remove the marinated fish from the marinade and coat with the flour mixture.
Frying the Fish
- Firstly, place a pan on the heat and add oil. Allow it to heat up for about 10 minutes. The fried fish temp should be about 170 degrees celsius.
- Then gently place the coated fish into the heated oil to avoid the hot oil from splashing on you. You can use a tong for this.
- Fry for about 5 minutes on one side and another 5 minutes on the other side.
- Then remove from the heat and drain on a paper towel.
- Your homemade pan-fried fish is ready.
Fried Fish can be eaten with rice, spaghetti, or chips such as potato chips. It is often combined with a vegetable salad with lemon juice drizzled over it. A good dinner recipe.
Fried Fish can be eaten with rice, spaghetti, or chips such as potato chips. It is often combined with a vegetable salad with lemon juice drizzled over it.