Katako Market of Jos North Local Government Area of Plateau state

Table of Contents

Photo of Katako Market of Jos North Local Government Area of Plateau state

Why is it called ‘Katako’Market

Thisis a large market located in Jos North local government area of Plateau state. It got its name from the Timber sheds located in this market and which was and is a major area for buying and selling of Woods and Timber of all kinds even till today, this market still supplies the major timber needed within and outside of Jos north. “Katako” is a Hausa name which meansWoodand has been used as the name of the market.

A section for selling of Maize and other cereals in Katako Market
A section for selling of Maize and other cereals in Katako Market

Services and Products availability

Thismarket has now grown to supply all needed items ranging Food items, Clothes, Chairs, Wood, Jewelries, Carpets, Leather works, Tyre, Car Parts, Chemicals ( for Paints, Making of Antiseptics, Disinfectants) and many more. Katako Market is as large asTerminus marketafter the razing of terminus market by fire in 2002 but the unique difference of Terminus from it is that locally made things are found more in Katako market compared to terminus which offers packaged and mostly imported materials, hence when you need things such as electronics, computers and accessories etc, terminus is preferable to Katako, but for things such as maize, soybeans, woods, “Gonjo(already used clothes)”, fish and fish meals, animalsetc, this market is preferred.

Section for selling of Poultry feed additives and ingredients in Katako Market
Section for selling of Poultry feed additives and ingredients in Katako Market

This market is surrounded by Chorbe, Busabuji, Apata and Ali Kazaure. From the market, you can easily get vehicles and cabs going to various places within Jos north such asFarin Gada, Terminus, Gada biyu. Though Katako has been for years, it is not a well known name for people that are new in Jos who only hear and know of terminus market only. I have spent about 6 years in Jos but I had underrated how big this market is, I only got to know about it when I took a tour one dayin search of ingredients for compounding of feeds for my poultry only to be surprised of the rare things I got to see in the market. In fact there were things I have been searching for and asking from other people around me that I got to see in this market today and in fact, there is a special area were the things were all concentrated, this things were: Popcorn Kernels, Popcorn Machine, Fish meals, Bone meals, Limestone, Premix Vitamins for broilers and layers, and many others.

I saw these things and even feed mills were you can buy the ingredients and compound immediately within this market. It was really a thrill and a moment of excited because I felt all my struggles of trying to get one ingredient to another has ended because all the requirements were found in the same area. This does not mean only feed ingredients have a specific area like this but also places like Timber and in this area, there are trucks waiting for conveying the timber for you to any where within or outside of Jos North; there are also machines for cutting of the Timber into the required sizes and length.

Timber sheds for selling of Timber in Katako market: it is from this timber shed that this market got the name Katako in Hausa which means Wood
Timber sheds for selling of Timber in Katako market: it is from this timber shed that this market got the name Katako in Hausa which means Wood

Other materials having a specific area for selling and buying include materials for making of antiseptics, disinfectants, paints and paint materials, and also the containers for storing the final products; in this particular area, you can even tell them to combine all the ingredients you need in order to make like liquid soap or disinfectant and they will combine them for you without you even bothering about the correct measurement and quantity. I think this is the reason why almost every shop now has locally made liquid soap and hence selling this product does not really have much gain.

Police station in Katako market
Police station in Katako market

This market is even busier and larger than Terminus now. One of the contributory factor is the recent tragic event of bombing that occurred in Terminus in 2014 which made the Plateau state government to ban the use of motor cycles, tricycles, and selling of things on the main road; this single action has made terminus to become a small market which is patronized by few people now.

Katako Market is a place where you can get what you really want especially locally made items and at affordable prices.