Assorted Meat Stew Recipe: How to Prepare Assorted Meat Stew

Photo of Assorted Meat Stew Recipe: How to Prepare Assorted Meat Stew

Assorted meat stew is one of the stew recipes we prepare a lot in Nigeria, this stew is simply made using different cuts of cow such as intestine, liver, heart, tripe, hide. Another way to make assorted meat stew is to combined different meats such as chicken, goat, beef and cow bowels etc. together for the stew preparation. This assorted meat stew is the stew I personally enjoy preparing especially during the weekends and also love to pair it with boiled yam. I love the aroma that comes from the different parts of the meat and you also have the chance to extract a very rich stock after cooking the meat, you don’t have to throw away your stock, just add about one cup of it to the stew to cook until it reduces, and then watch for the rich aroma infused all over your kitchen.

To make assorted meat stew, you can use fresh tomatoes and tomato paste, but I decided to make use of fresh tomatoes only because I love the freshness that these add to my pot of stew. What I did was to combine tomatoes, bell peppers and ginger to boil for 20 minutes until they became firm and the moisture content reduced, then I transferred to the blender to pulse until smooth and nice When you do it this way, it reduces the amount of time and gas you would have used to boil the tomato for an hour for the liquid to go down. I will soon post how I prepare my tomato for stew in my next article.

I didnt add the garlic to the tomato mix to blend, I had to crush and fry it directly in the oil with the onions, because of the nice fragrance it releases to the oil, but it can be added with the tomato to blend, it is a personal choice. However, read the simple steps below on how to prepare assorted meat stew.

Table of Contents

Ingredients for Assorted Meat Stew

• 1 kg of assorted meat
  • 10 medium tomatoes
  • 6 large bell peppers
  • 3 scotch bonnets
  • 2 large sized onions
  • 1 medium ginger
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • teaspoon thyme
  • teaspoon curry powder
  • 1 cup of meat broth
  • A pinch of salt
  • 3-4 stock cubes
  • 1 cup of peanut oil
Assorted Meat Stew Recipe: How to Prepare Assorted Meat Stew

Steps on How to Prepare Assorted Meat Stew

1. Combine tomatoes, scotch bonnets, bell peppers, 1 onion and ginger into a pot cook on medium heat for 20 minutes.
  2. Once they are all soft, remove from heat, leave to cool down, place in a blender and blend into smooth texture.
  3. Wash the assorted meat into a another pot , season with pepper, stock cubes, onion, thyme, curry, and salt to taste.
  4. Add 2 cups of water to the meat and cook until it turn out very soft, you may want to use a pressure cooker to cook this as it makes it faster.
  5. Separate the meat from the stock once it is soft and set aside.
  6. Place another pot on heat, heat up peanut oil, add the meat to it and fry slightly, drain from the oil and set aside.
  7. Add the crushed garlic, chopped onion into the oil and stir-fry for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
  8. Add the tomato mix and stir fry for 10 minutes until it is well fried. Be sure to place a lid over the stew, as it will be bubbling and splattering everywhere and also stir it from time to time to prevent it from burning at the bottom of the pot.
  9. Add the meat stock and stir leave to cook until the liquid reduces, season the stew with stock cubes, thyme, curry , salt and stir it properly.
  10. Return the fried meat into the stew and stir, let the stew cook until the meat absorbs the nourishing flavour of all the spices.
  11. Take the stew off heat once it has simmered for long and serve with boiled yam, rice or plantain.

Steps on How to Prepare Assorted Meat Stew with Pictures

1. Combine tomatoes, scotch bonnets, bell peppers, 1 onion and ginger into a pot cook on medium heat for 20 minutes.

2. Once they are all soft, remove from heat, leave to cool down, place in a blender and blend into smooth texture.

Tomato mix for assorted meat stew preparation
Tomato mix for assorted meat stew preparation

3. Wash the assorted meat into a another pot , season with pepper, stock cubes, onion, thyme, curry, and salt to taste.

4. Add 2 cups of water to the meat and cook until it turn out very soft, you may want to use a pressure cooker to cook this as it makes it faster.

Make sure you season the meat with enough ingredients to extract a rich stock
Make sure you season the meat with enough ingredients to extract a rich stock

5. Separate the meat from the stock once it is soft and set aside.

6. Place another pot on heat, heat up peanut oil, add the meat to it and fry slightly, drain from the oil and set aside.

7. Add the crushed garlic, chopped onion into the oil and stir-fry for 30 seconds or until fragrant.

The fried onion and garlic add to the flavour of this stew
The fried onion and garlic add to the flavour of this stew

8. Add the tomato mix and stir fry for 10 minutes until it is well fried. Be sure to place a lid over the stew, as it will be bubbling and splattering everywhere and also stir it from time to time to prevent it from burning at the bottom of the pot.

Fry the tomato mix to your satisfaction
Fry the tomato mix to your satisfaction

9. Add the meat stock and stir leave to cook until the liquid reduces, season the stew with stock cubes, thyme, curry , salt and stir it properly.

Add some seasonings to the stew and watch out for salt, the meat stock is already seasoned
Add some seasonings to the stew and watch out for salt, the meat stock is already seasoned

The oil will float to the top and the stew forms some tiny bubbles once it is properly fried
The oil will float to the top and the stew forms some tiny bubbles once it is properly fried

10. Return the fried meat into the stew and stir, let the stew cook until the meat absorbs the nourishing flavour of all the spices.

Final outcome of the stew
Final outcome of the stew

11. Take the stew off heat once it has simmered for long and serve with boiled yam, rice or plantain.

Picture of assorted meat stew
Picture of assorted meat stew

What will you like to pair this delicious stew wit?
What will you like to pair this delicious stew wit?

Serving assorted meat stew with boiled yam
Serving assorted meat stew with boiled yam