Table of Contents
Cornbread Recipe is a simple type of Quick bread; a Southern Bread recipe made with cornmeal (made by simply grinding corn). This sweet cornbread recipe is easy to make. I will show you how to make the best cornbread recipe with buttermilk which gives it a moist texture and flavor.
What is Cornbread?
Cornbread is a simple bread made with cornmeal and some baking powder. It is usually baked in a cast-iron skillet. This easy quick bread can be made with cornmeal from yellow or white corn; I preferred the yellow corn which gives your cornbread a nice yellow color.
Cornbread is a popular Southern American cuisine that is usually eaten with Jam, Molasses, Honey, or Butter.
Cornbread Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup of Cornmeal: this can be made by grinding yellow corn or white corn.
- A cup of Flour. For gluten-free, you can omit the flour or use gluten-free flour.
- 1 and a half teaspoon of Baking Powder.
- Salt to taste.
- 1 and a quarter cup of Buttermilk. Buttermilk makes a moist cornbread and also gives it a nice flavor. You can use sour cream or milk as substitutes.
- 1/3 cup of Brown sugar. This gives you a sweet cornbread recipe with the flavor of molasses.
- 2 small eggs or 1 large egg.
- 3 tablespoons of melted butter
How to Make the Best Sweet Cornbread Recipe
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl to form a slurry batter. Ensure there is no lump in the batter.
- Add 3 tablespoons of butter into your skillet and heat until the butter starts to sizzle.
- Remove from heat and pour your cornbread batter into the heated skillet (cast iron is skillet is better).
- Make sure your oven is preheated to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and then bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove it after 20 minutes and allow to cool for 1 minute before removing it out of the pan.
- Your homemade cornbread is ready; it is often eaten with honey, molasses, butter, or Jam.
Texas and Mexican Cornbread is usually made with fresh or creamed corn kernels and Jalapeño peppers and topped with shredded cheese.
Other Variations of Cornbread
- Cracklin’ bread
- Corn pone
- Baked Cornbread
- Hot water Cornbread